Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I've never been to a boss's birthday party

I have to say I was kind of honored to be invited by my City Opera "boss" of eight seasons to his birthday party. Robin Thompson basically handed me my career on a silver platter (he hired me right out of Juilliard and continued to promote me through the City Opera ranks, and I worked there every single season for 8 straight years) and I owe him a debt of gratitude. I was super-psyched that after all our years working together and getting to know each other, that he now considers me enough of a friend to invite me to his milestone birthday party. I won't say his age here in case he wouldn't want me to, but he really does look fantastic even if he were 10 years younger than he actually is.

The party was held at Vivolo, a lovely italian restaurant on the east side, and he had the entire upstairs party room for his 40 guests. Other than me, the only singer present was Lauren Flanigan, and I was happy to be sitting at her table because she's a very fascinating person, and we had the chance to talk quite a bit during dinner. The party was also peppered with a ton of "movers and shakers" from the business - several important managers, higher-ups from the Met, and even some luminaries from the Art world. I was seated next to an art dealer/ manager who manages the likes of Chuck Close among others, and also at my table was the head curator from the MOMA, and the former president of the City Opera Board. I always feel small and uninteresting among people like these, but I try my best to hold my own and learn what I can from people who have obviously led pretty interesting lives.

Friendship is important - I'm just glad that all different people consider me their friend. I hope it's always that way.

1 comment:

Lauren Flanigan said...

I have walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and seen the Water Falls (also from a boat). I regularly go to the Green Market at 14th Street.(My garden is the beautiful recipient of those weekly trips) I think that there is nothing like the ballet and Patty Lupone to put perspective into your life. Both are artful and you can't inhabit either without hard work determination and serious love of your art!! I was raised in the Haight Ashbury in the 60's and som up here in Harlem say that I could sell my chocolate chip cookies!! :)

This post is for all of you who haven't met Jen Rivera and should. If you haven't heard her sing - you should. If you haven't seen her act - you should. And now... if you have never invited her out for dinner or to a dinner party - YOU SHOULD!! I had dinner with her last night and it was serious fun. It was an honor to be invited to our friends celebration of his natal day and it was an honor to get a chance to tell Jen how great her singing is and what in incredible experience it was to see/hear her in Aggrippina (even though I kept calling it Alcina)!!!

Keep up the good work Jen and LOVE THE BLOG!! xoxox lauren