Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Agrippina - first look

Okay, I hesitate to even post the link to this article and accompanying video of some scenes from our Agrippina, because the thing they show me doing at the end of the video seems absolutely.... indecent. I mean, my parents and some young friends read this blog and the only clip this newspaper chose to represent me is one of me writhing on the floor and looking positively not appropriate for viewers under 17. But what the hell - you can see the rest of the production and how beautiful it is and hear some of the outstanding singing. Plus, if you can read german, you can read this article about the lovely young soprano singing Poppea, Anna Prohaska. So here goes nothing - here's the link to the article in today's Zeit online. Happy viewing! And please know that I also appear in this opera standing up and looking as innocent as a lamb.

6 comments:

Katypracht said...

Whoa! <:o codpiece... Awesome, Jenny - it looks like a gorgeous production, and everyone sounds fantastic, too!
Toi, toi, toi,
:) K

Leah Partridge said...

Brava Jenny! You're hot!

Unknown said...

WOW - that is one way to attract a non-opera crowd :-)

Sounds great all round...

Viaje a Tarsis said...

When will come the time when we will go to the opera for the music and not for the sensual things going on onstage...

Opera Cake said...

Shaaaaaame I cannot come to Berlin to see that gem and to finally listen to your live singing! ;(


The Sunday show will be broadcast live via the Kulturradio, and will start at 7:30 pm (CET) = 1:30pm in New York.

c.f.
http://www.kulturradio.de/multimedia/bildergalerien/agrippina.html

Knock'em dead :)

toi toi toi

Marcus Cicero said...

I have attended the premiere, and - of course - I went there for the music in the first place. However, I admit not being disgusted by hints of sensuality if they fit with the rest of the story. In the Vienna Agrippina (Vesselina Kasarova), males in S/M leather dress surrounded Agrippina, and that did not fit. In the Berlin production, however, the invitation/seduction scene between Poppea and Nerone matched words and music and behaviour. For me, that was the best scene in an overall almost perfect production - great musicians, great direction and lights, great singer-actors. Today, it is taken for granted that you are a superb singer if you are on the stage of a known Opera House, but it is getting more and more important that you are also a great actor/actress. All of yesterday's cast are excellent actors/actresses, and if one or two bits were overdone, I blame the director for this. Anyway, seated in the second row, I was able to see that scene from a very short distance, and both of you were very convincing, you even more in the following "Se la donna invita l'amante..". I was also quite impressed by the exercises you did when waiting hidden in Poppea's room - respect. To sum up - it was a great evening, and I'd like to thank you for it.