Friday, May 16, 2008

Another opening another show

Actually, last night was the final dress rehearsal, but since there was an audience, it might as well have been the first performance. It went very well, and I really can't complain about anything. I love this opera and this role so much, that I decided yesterday to enjoy myself as much as possible, and miraculously, I was able to do that. I was very nervous the night before and the morning of, but by the time I got to the theater, I was just happy to be there. I mean, it definitely took a lot of concentration to get through our very first run though of the opera, so I didn't have that feeling of freedom I sometimes enjoy in performing when I know the piece so thoroughly I can actually relax, but I still managed to be in the moment and in the character and feel good about it all.

My parents arrived safely yesterday, and troopers that they are, arrived after an all night flight, showered, and came to the theater to watch the whole rehearsal. This morning however, they are totally unconscious and I'm sure waking them up will be difficult. But I think having them here helped me feel less nervous, because instead of feeling like "this is a big deal european debut" the fact that they arrived and came to the show made me feel like I could have been in Columbus or Milwaukee.

I still have the three actual performances to do, but hopefully I will be able to enjoy each one a little more, and the audience will share my joy in this piece and this role.

3 comments:

Incipit vita nova Ann said...

Your Saratoga family loves you and wishes we could be there for your triumphant European debut

Incipit vita nova Ann said...

Your Saratoga family loves you and wishes we could be there for your triumphant European debut.

sestissimo said...

I love you guys too, and I know you'll be here in spirit, just as I had to be there only in spirit for Kate's debut in Thoroughly Modern Millie. xxxxoooo