Monday, July 19, 2010

How to make mundane things more fun

Yesterday, when I was writing that long post, I was actually procrastinating the fact that I had to go find a laundromat and do my laundry. I don't mind doing my laundry, but I hated the idea of walking into a laundromat in a foreign country and not being sure how stuff worked. Kilograms? Celsius? Euro?? I just hate that moment when you walk in, look around, have no idea how anything works, and don't have the words to ask.

So Michael (that's the ol' boyfriend - I guess I should just start calling him by name now, as he will now probably become a fixture in my posts, the way Will and Georgia have - you know them by now, right?) suggested that I take some footage of me feeling lost in the laundromat, and send it to him, and he would make it into a little film. And you know what? It worked! I had more fun knowing that I was going to be able to share the experience with you guys, and it made the whole thing seem less intimidating. He's a much cleverer video editor than I am, and I was delighted this morning to wake up and have this little gem waiting for me on youtube. Ah...the glamourous life we opera singers lead; lugging our suitcases full of dirty clothes to an unknown and unfamiliar place and trying to figure out which machine is the washer and which one is the dryer. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah the mundane, even in the glamourous life of an international opera singer.

Liz said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoy your posts. Please never stop blogging. I am living vicariously through your experiences. I wish you the very best of luck in your life and in your career.

Sibyl said...

Brings back memories...How did your things turn out? Also, the "Third Man" theme? Inspired!

michelle said...

I too want to write and let you know how much I love your blog. I check to see if you have written something everyday. Thank you for being so honest and for sharing the ups and the downs of having an opera career. Much luck to you and keep writing!! :-)

Craig said...

Don't you have a groupie who'll take care of your laundry? No pressure, just wondering.

I love the blog, too. Thanks for chronicling your adventures in an art form I love.

jmz said...

love this one and the music!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, so nice to see you have so many fans! Not a surprise. The weirdest thing - I just watched The Third Man last night, for the first time ever (I know, shocking), and then discovered your laundromat film today! It's great. The ol' boyfriend did a wonderful job with your footage ;-).

I would say that the old glamorous ways for opera singers are fading somewhat, which doesn't take away from the glamorous moments in an opera career, it's just that in order to have any privacy at all one needs to be somewhat self-sufficient. Hence, the solo trip to the laundromat.

You are such a natural comedienne, Jennifer. Keep it up, girl!