Monday, February 22, 2010

The times, they are a bloggin'

I still remember the time when, in order to look at a review or yourself, you had to go down to the corner store, buy a newspaper, and scan through until you found the few words to describe your performance (okay, I've mostly been an opera singer in the internet age, but I got reviews when I sang Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz with the Santa Rosa Community Players when I was 11, so bear with me). Now, with a few clicks of the mouse, you discover that people all around the world are talking about you, and some people, who are obviously more technologically savvy than yours truly, are even posting recordings of your singing!

I got back from Europe yesterday, and since I'm still on Europe time, I'm awake before absolutely ANYONE in new york city. It's 5 AM, still dark, and the bagel shop on the corner isn't even open yet. So, until this side of the world wakes up, I'm checking my emails and goofing off online. I saw that I had an email from a friend who said he'd found a recording of me singing my aria on the internet. WHAT? The first performance of Agrippina was indeed broadcast on the radio, and people certainly could have recorded it, but I was amazed (and humbled) that somebody posted my aria specifically on their blog. And since the blog is in spanish, I feel especially connected to my spanish roots (everyone always asks me how I got the name Rivera with all my blonde hair and blue eyes, and it's because my great grandfather was from Spain). Here is the link to the post with the recording of my final aria, recorded on opening night.

I had already heard the recording from the radio, thanks to another technologically savvy and generous reader of this blog, and I had one of those moments where, the first time I heard it, I thought. "WHOA - that was the tempo? That was FAST!!" It did not feel so fast to me at the moment I was singing it, but hearing it from the outside made me feel like I should have been wearing a helmet or something. I had also wondered what the B section sounded like, since I was lying on my side, sort of curled into a ball while singing it, and I was happy to discover that I couldn't really hear a change in the vocal production from that position.

I have to admit, typing my name into google and hitting search makes me very nervous. Should I read every blog entry that mentions my name or just stick to the news publications? Should I read the comments?? I wish I didn't have the personality where I am dying for everyone to like and approve of me, because that would make reading all this stuff much easier. Sometimes I just let my mom sift through it and protect me from the mean stuff, but then she has to see it, and I don't know if it's easier to read something bad about yourself or to read something bad about your only kid.

But even with this daunting plethora of information, I wouldn't change anything about the way we now are able to share information with one click, because it allows me this opportunity to connect with everyone who is reading these words, which has turned out to be a huge pleasure and comfort to me as I'm leading this nomadic and slightly insane life. AND it allows my friends in China to hear me singing in Germany. And come on, how cool is that?

10 comments:

Opera Cake said...

Mei is a gem! :)

Excellent singing. I listened to the whole opera when it was broadcast on the radio. It's a bit too long for me - but you were all brilliant.

If I remember well you blogged that a recording of Agrippina was supposed to follow the production? Is that still in the air? When (roughly) can we expect it to be released?

Are you going to sing in the revival of this production (next year?)?

Too many questions, I know :)

Thanks take care and cheers!

Mei said...

I'm glad you've found my post in the immensity of the blogsphere...

I enjoyed the second performance but it was too cold to wait outside for singers after the performance...

¡Hasta pronto...!

sestissimo said...

Thank you Mei for including me on your blog - I am honored! If at all possible, would you be able to send me the mp3 of the clip via email at jennifer@jenniferrivera.com? I would love to have that in my library! I am certainly not bright enough to know how to have recorded it myself, unfortunately!

Opera cake - we will make the studio recording this July and it will be released by Harmonia Mundi, but I'm not sure when. And if there is a revival, I will let you know - I hope there will be!

Mei said...

I'll send you the clip by email at the end of the day, be patient... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome recording of your aria. Thanks to the reader who posted this and thanks to you for sharing. Your voice is rich and dark like chocolate cake and moist and creamy and extremely flexible.

Katypracht said...

Incredible, Jenny, really incredible! BRAVA, and hooray for the wonderful people who capture these moments so we can all enjoy you from afar.

So happy you're home, if only for a little,

Mmmwa,
Kate

Opera Cake said...

Thanks Jen! All the Jacobs' recording are with Harmonia Mundi. I guess it will be out by the end of the year.

I am sure there will be several revivals of this production & hope the cast stays the same too :)

Cheers

Roca said...

Yay!
Im so proud to be mentioned in your Blog!
You were just excellent. Brava!! (and yes, this was FAST!)
Is so cool to listen to you anywhere I go :)
xoxo

Trevor said...

Hey Jennifer! I'm a college student studying voice, wanting to be an opera singer, and I did a google search a month or so ago, trying to find out what the life of an opera singer was really like, and lo and behold, your blog came up! I've spent the time trying to read the archives, and I'm just now getting to February of this year (school keeps me pretty busy). I just wanted to say that your rendition of 'Come nube che fugge...' is by far my favorite! Hope you're doing well!

In bocca al lupo!

Unknown said...

Hey Jennifer! I'm a college student studying voice, wanting to be an opera singer, and I did a google search a month or so ago, trying to find out what the life of an opera singer was really like, and lo and behold, your blog came up! I've spent the time trying to read the archives, and I'm just now getting to February of this year (school keeps me pretty busy). I just wanted to say that your rendition of 'Come nube che fugge...' is by far my favorite! Hope you're doing well!

In bocca al lupo!