Friday, September 4, 2009

more never dull moments

I'm sleepy so tonight's blog entry is going to be a quick post, but I just wanted to update you on the situation here, so you can get a glimpse into how crazy the opera world really is.

I got word this morning that the tenor who is slated to sing the opening performance tomorrow is ill, so they had to find another tenor. It's not like City Opera or the Met where they have understudies for every role - if somebody is sick, they have to fly another singer in who knows the role, and show them the staging as fast as possible. In europe, everything is so close together that even if you're in Spain having a nice leisurely breakfast, you can be rehearsing in Berlin by just after lunch if necessary. Luckily, in this situation, a tenor who has performed in this production before was available, so I was called in today to rehearse with him. He actually remembered pretty much everything, which was quite remarkable since he hasn't done the show in over a year, and I was thrilled at the opportunity to rehearse with another singer, even though I won't sing with him (unless I get a call tomorrow that Rosina is sick too - let's hope not). Tomorrow night should be exciting for everyone involved since they only had a few days of rehearsals themselves, and now they are getting a new tenor. I wish them all in bocca al lupo, and I will write more tomorrow. For now I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

Katypracht said...

Yikes, it's the trial-by-fire production of B of S for everyone! I'm glad you had a chance to run it with a singing human being. :) Maybe some of your colleagues will be bored one day in these two weeks and feel like running some scenes with you for kicks. I'll cross my fingers.

Sleep well!
Mmmmmmwa,
:) Katy