Friday, November 7, 2008

City Opera

I just discovered this article in the New York Times announcing that Gerard Mortier has pulled out of City Opera. This doesn't affect me directly as I've never sung for Mr. Mortier and had not been rehired by the company since the change of administration. But I did sing at City Opera for 8 seasons, and have made my career so far mostly with that company, so I want it to survive and to thrive. The economy is apparently making it impossible for the board to raise even the amount they had thought they could raise for Mr. Mortier's first season. I sincerely hope they find a way to reopen their doors and continue to survive because they have been such an important institution not only for the City of New York, but for the country, and for all the young singers who have gotten their starts on the stage at City Opera, including me.

No comments: