Sunday, April 13, 2008

on my way to Italay

Here goes. My very first blog entry ever in my whole life (pretty much).

I'm leaving for the airport in a couple of hours to fly to Italy. Everyone keeps asking me two things: have you packed yet? and are you excited? 

I've definitely packed, and I'm praying that my suitcases are each less than 50 pounds. I did the "if it's so heavy I can't really lift it, it's probably too heavy" test, but it's highly unscientific, and I have a feeling the people at Air France would have me open up my suitcase in the middle of the airport and start pulling stuff out as soon as look at me. 

To answer the second question, I am definitely excited, although probably more nervous than anything else at the moment. I haven't ever sung or worked in europe before (in case anyone is reading this besides mom and dad, I should mention that I'm an opera singer, and I'm on my way to Italy to rehearse and perform an opera there), and in fact I only have been to Italy once for about 10 minutes to do some auditions, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I know for sure there won't be any nice arts administrator waiting for me at the airport with a sign with my name on it like in Columbus or Milwaukee for example. In fact, the italians won't even know I've arrived until I show up to the first day of rehearsal (how exactly do I get to the theater, by the way?). 

But I've learned my music, packed my life up, and am welcoming this new adventure with open -  if perhaps a bit heavy laden with overweight suitcases - arms. 

Italia - Io vengo!!!

No comments: